-->

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

easy apple pie.



 I knew all along that Penelope needed a Sweet as Pie celebration for her first birthday. With a birthday in early October and a middle name like Sweet, the situation begged for an autumn feast and, even better, autumn-inspired sweets. While I still wanted to make the birthday girl a pumpkin spice smash cake to dive face-first into, I knew that pie would be on the forefront of the overall theme, as well as on everyone's dessert plate.

On our first Thanksgiving in this house, in 2011, we hosted a family feast, and I took up the task of making an apple pie from scratch. It was an ordeal. Making the crust myself ended up in a broken food processor and a temper tantrum. Let's not even talk about what a pain peeling & cutting apples by hand was. This time I wised up. My mom gave me an apple peeler/corer/slicer contraption for Christmas that same year, and it is a miracle contraption. Couple that with store-bought crust in a box (which is, quite frankly, delicious with a good pie filling) and you've got the easiest apple pie with from-scratch taste baking in the oven ever.




Easy Apple Pie
Ingredients:
1 store bought pie crust (I used Stater Bros brand, which is not my favorite, but still good!)
3/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup tightly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of salt
10 Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced & peeled
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 425. Allow store bought pastry to come to room temperature, then layer the bottom with a 9-inch pie plate. Stir together sugars, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, & salt and mix with apple slices. Make sure all slices are coated. Dump the whole bowl into your pastry-lined pie plate and make sure it's evenly distributed in the plate. Cut butter into small cubes and dot over apples. Cover the apples with the other pastry. Seal & flute, and cut slits or a cute design into the top. Cover the edges with strips of aluminum foil.

Bake about 30-40 minutes in the center of the oven, and remove foil. Bake another 10, or until crust is brown & juices begin to bubble through the slits. * Remove from oven and allow to cool about 20 minutes before cutting. Enjoy a la mode or on it's own!

*You may want to put a cookie sheet beneath the pie to catch the juices!



2 comments:

  1. I love homemade apple pie baking... the scent is so delicious... I used to make my own crust and then I wised up and bought the ones from the store... just as good and less frustrating ;)

    ReplyDelete