chickpea salad.

I'm back on the meal planning train this week! 

I'm hoping to institute some healthier eating habits in our house. There are a variety of reasons to meal plan and healthier eating is one of them. Making dinner in my house can be hard...I've got some picky eaters to feed (my husband & my 2.5 year old...the baby eats fine) and we are busy, so it's nearly impossible to come home at 6 pm and start a wholesome meal from scratch.

I'd love to make some changes in everyone's intake, my kids especially. While I am not willing to move to a gluten or dairy-free household yet, we could certainly make some changes & eat out less. Eating out, junk food, and rich desserts should be considered an every-once-in-a-while treat and in our house, those luxuries are more of a constant that I'd like to admit. I realize that I am an example to my kids' good habits, so this week, I'm forgoing the standard sandwich in my weekday lunch. A chickpea salad with grape tomatoes & homemade dressing for the win! 



Chickpea Tomato Salad 
adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny

Gather:
1 can of drained chickpeas 
1 pint of chopped grape tomatoes

Combine in a large bowl and set aside.

Dressing: 
 a handful of fresh basil
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt.

Blend together (I used my baby bullet...still handy even though no one likes puréed peas in my house anymore!) & toss with salad. Let salad sit overnight so flavors marry.

Comments