peach crisp!



Can I be frank?

I'll be frank. 

Summer is not my thing.

I imagine a mid-West summer or a Pacific Northwest summer might be kind of nice, a season peppered with an occasional thunderstorm and not necessarily the crunch of dry, brown (dead) grass beneath my feet. You know those weedy burrs that dry up and are so sharp and pointy that when you sit down in the grass you think something bit you in the bottom? Yeah those. Let's just say summer is not my thing.

Oh, but I shouldn't say summer is all bad. The bright side, aside from those longer summer nights (seriously go to bed kids) is all the edibles in the garden. Tomatoes, strawberries, squash, stone fruits. We have two very prolific plum trees in our yard, producing black plums and pluots. I know its summer when that sweet, fragrant juice starts dripping down my chin. We affectionately call our home The Peach Tree House because it was built on a former peach tree farm (not that we have any peach trees on our property) (sob!) and I love that because peaches have always been one of my favorites. It's peak season right now! Today Elliott and I stopped at the local produce stand in the 105 degree weather (again, summer ihateyou) and picked up a bag of ripe peaches. They were just right and smelled so delicious. While the chicken thighs roasted in the oven and the potatoes boiled in preparation to be mashed with lots of butter and garlic, I prepared a peach crisp for dessert! 

Have you ever had a crisp? For some reason I remember my mom making them a bunch when I was younger. I am not sure if she really did, but I just love them so much so maybe the memory of them is sticking out more. Crisps are easily thrown together and are warm from the oven like a pie or cobbler, but is much quicker & easier to put together and is dynamite with some cinnamon ice cream on top! You could use the recipe below with any fruits, blueberries or cherries in the summer, and apples or pears in the winter. Yummmm....

Peach Crisp
(makes four servings)

Ingredients:
4 large ripe peaches, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
butter or shortening to grease pan

To make:
Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9 x 9 pan with butter or shortening. Peel & chop peaches and lay evenly in pan. Combine remaining ingredients. Will be clumpy, so break up clumps with a knife or fork so butter is well incorporated with the dry ingredients. You want it to be crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over peaches and bake for 30 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is starting to brown. Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy topped with ice cream or freshly whipped cream.

Comments